Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
With Wesco being swallowed-up, Buffett turning 80, and the chatter growing louder around Li Lu and David Sokol possibly rising to power, a value guy can't help but feel like the end of an era is approaching.

However, we can either wallow in a sea of nostalgia, or look forward toward the future. So, besides trying to invest like the young Warren Buffett, I've decided to take on a 12-month mission to identify the next Buffett.

When you look back and see how early Berkshire investors who invested tens of thousands of dollars watched their investment grow to several hundreds of millions, you quickly realize why it's worth identifying great jockey's early in their careers.

Case in point - the modest married couple, Donald and Mildred Othmer - Donald an engineer and Mildred a school teacher - who died in the late 1990's and left behind a fortune of some $750 million dollars. All from investing $25,000 each in a Buffett-led investment partnership back in the '60's and '70's.

While the value of identifying the next investing genius is clear, how do we know what he or she looks like. I'd say ideally they are:

1. Under 40
2. Manage well under $100M (may still be in college, or running their own portfolio)
3. Clear in thought, risk-neutral, rational, and a life-long learner
4. Not widely-known

Now, I do have a day job, so I'm going need some help on this. If you know of, seen, or have heard of any investing phenoms who are generally under the radar, please put up a post or shoot me an email (alouis@fool.com). I want to collect as many names and stories as possibly and see what I can dig up. Who knows who or what we will find?

Let the Buffett hunting begin!

Cheers,

Andy L-C (TMFAloha)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.