Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The offices of a Dallas law firm representing a high-profile State Department whistleblower were broken into last weekend. Burglars stole three computers and broke into the firm’s file cabinets.

Between this... and the ponderings of a local radio talkshow guy this AM about Snowden's manually-carried 4 laptops getting completely downloaded at each asylum layover... I am left wondering;

Has *everybody* forgotten about secure cloud data storage?

(And by "everybody" I mean the media... I have *ZERO* doubt that Snowden & any/all current day whistleblowers have all the TRULY good stuff safely secured via untraceable cloud storage... accessible from anywhere, at the offer of the proper password.)

'Cloud' storage doesn't even have to be on commercial cloud systems (like carbonite, mozy, amazon, et al.) It could be a single private server in a chilled closet anywhere, set to connect to the web for 3 seconds per day to ping (like a submarine that raises its antennae for mere seconds to check for satellite signals) & listen for a standing call request (like a waiting knock on the door) to ask for access. Or it could be a dozen mirrored private servers scattered around virtually anywhere on the globe!

The idea of truly critical data being held in physically vulnerable possession... especially all cohesively in one single location... is simply not reasonable, especially when we are talking about spooks younger than 60 years old, today!

Dave
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.