Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The one big assumption, glossed over a little too easily for me, is to NOT loose principle. Obviously you don't want to spend it all but not everyone cares to die with millions and not enjoy some of it while there here.
---------------
I'm not sure exactly where you are driving with this comment. The only way to never risk losing principal is to have your retirement funds in some sort of money market account, which will possibly not keep up with inflation, or to buy inflation protected bonds, which will require a much higher retirement nest egg to provide sufficient income.

I think the original poster was making a comment on the fact that the article was worried about loss of principal rather than on the withdrawals from growth/income+principal being able to be sustained for a certain amount of time. It doesn't matter if my funds drop completely to zero on the day I die unless I wish to leave it to somebody otherwise at that point I no longer have any need for money.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.