Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The one nugget of insight I got from the Globe's review is that RB-RM should have put more emphasis on how the RB-RM criteria would have ruled out apparent RB-RM companies from the past that went on to disappoint, return-wise.

As I read the book, I kept wishing there were a way to back-test the strategies. It just can't be done honestly, because as somebody famous once said "The victors write the history books" (Meaning, the Microsofts and Intels tend to get the lion's share of scrutiny in the backwards-looking press precisely because they are so dominant now.)

I guess we could try to evaluate future RM companies versus their competition using only facts and data WIDELY KNOWN AT THE TIME, but with such subjective selection criteria, who among us could be totally blind to the "future" (which to us in 1999 is the past)?

Still, I agree, it was a poorly written review. Lazy might be a better word.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.