Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The one number I recall for something like that is paying for the marina space at $1,050 a month, and a $250 "live aboard" fee which covers utilities, parking, and a mailbox. Pumping the sewage tank monthly is extra, as is the twice-yearly barnacle scraping (and whatever else divers do to the submerged portion). Do you have enough junk that you'd have to rent a storage facility?

It's worse you might think. It's certainly regional, but some marinas in Fort Lauderdale charge $1 to $2 per ft PER DAY for dockage, and it goes up/down seasonally. If you keep a boat that size in the water, you're also looking at having the boat hauled out and the bottom painted every couple of years. Plus regularly replacing everything that rots in the water. Doubly so if it's saltwater. Remember, everything on a boat - engines, generators, AC systems - is water cooled.

A good rule of thumb is 10% of the cost of the boat annually. Could be more, especially if it's a large motorboat and you take it anywhere. Many live aboard sized boats can burn nearly a gallon a mile at cruising speed. And marine fuel is easily $4/gal, even when gas stations on land are cheap.

I shopped mid-30ft cruisers a few years back. The boats were actually pretty reasonably priced. Owning one wasn't. Probably why used prices were so good. I've happily remained boat free...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.