No. of Recommendations: 8
The one that doesn't bug me is tattoos. Yeah, some people have poorly made ones, and others have random drawings all over their body without regard to the difference between good looking overall and a three-year-old finding a marker and drawing all over themselves. But, unless the person with hundreds/thousands of dollars of "ink" is using food stamps ahead of me in the grocery store line, I liken the tats to jewelry: Some people have hundreds/thousands of dollars in jewelry which I also don't care about.

The two that really stand out are--

-College: I see high school graduates that find it horrific to deny themselves the full college experience of their dream college, and won't consider the local school which involves living at home and also paying much much less but not getting to cheer as a student for the sports teams and join a fraternity/sorority, etc. It is apparently a revolutionary idea to look at the "total cost," meaning after scholarships and need-based aid, to see what the "experience" is going to cost. Couple that with not considering the payoff of majoring is something that has low earnings and hiring prospects and you slide into owing on your college loans for decades. (Only once did a classmate of one of my kids do such a thing, and he felt that the ~5K higher average earnings of that particular college would be worth it, but I didn't point out that ALL of that college's grads were in engineering or math/science, so it was wrong to compare average average pay to a university whose grads include Art History, Modern Dance and XYZ Studies [for the full-ride athletes] because at least he'd looked into the issue some.)

-Not thinking ahead: How can people be surprised that social security covers only a part of one's monetary needs (even if the house is paid off and kids are gone)? How can some NOT know that Medicare isn't free, that you need thousands a year in Medigap coverage, and pre-Medicare health insurance is REALLY expensive? It blows my mind when someone's 45, wants to RE at 55, and (sometimes on this board) starts asking how *starting* to invest 10% of income can make that happen. People are up on all the latest sports statistics, across the whole league and not just the team they like, but haven't spent any time whatsoever on looking into their life's future. All the information is out there--and fits on a 3x5 notecard if you don't want to worry about "why" but just "do."
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.