Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The ones I get here in Michigan are grown in Florida; they have a smooth, shiny green skin.

As I recall, California avocados aren't shiny, and the skin is rough and much darker—almost black. I think they are called Hass Avocados, but I could be wrong.

California has a few different commercial varieties. Hass is probably the best known (pebbly dark skin), but there are also Fuerte and Bacon (both have shiney bright green skin) varieties. There is a variety not commercially available whose fruit is very Hass like, but has the easy-to-peel, flexible skin of the Fuerte. Unfortunately, it's tree-time is almost two years in our climate. Not very agro-friendly! They also get VERY large, over two pounds. Imagine, a Superbowl party supply of guac from one avo!

The Florida avos are being marketed as "slimcados" because they have less fat than the CA ones. They're actually from a completely different lineage. They tend to be more watery.

You know what they're good for? Grilling! Give it a try. You don't want super-ripe fruit, of course. *Just* ripe, or even just a touch under-ripe. Slice into quarters, remove skin. Brush with oil on cut sides. Grill just a minute or two to give the fruit those iconic grill marks... of course time may vary depending on the heat of your grill & what not.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.