Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The only part that should be taxable is the forgiven part of the debt in block 1.

That is the most that can be taxable. It could be less.

Were they insolvent - that is, was the total of their debts larger than the Fair Market Value of their assets (including both the FMV of the property sold and the full amount of the related mortgage)? If so, to the extent they were insolvent, the forgiven debt is not taxable.

There are a couple of other possibilities spelled out in IRC section 108. Another that comes to mind is the qualified real property exemption. That generally applies to real estate used in a business. And renting property is a business.

If some of the firgiven debt is not taxable, then you'll probably need to adjust the basis of the property when figuring the gain or loss on the sale.

This isn't a process for the feint of heart. It's complicated, and something on which even well-educated professionals have differing opinions.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.