Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
The only significant funds I have are in the IRA (85%) and ROTH (15%). I don't expect to ever spend my ROTH, though I will if the IRA ever runs out. - RHinCT

----------------

Since you and your wife are both retired, you likely are in a low tax bracket. You should consider doing Roth conversions each year to use up the remainder of whatever tax bracket you are in.

I have been doing this for years. One of the mistakes I made early on was to have 20% of the converted amount withheld for federal taxes. So only 80% of my IRA dollars were making it to my Roth. I wised up a few years ago and stopped the withholding on the conversion so 100% of the converted amount made it to the Roth. I starting paying the taxes with funds from an after tax account. Also keep an eye on IRMAA adjustments to your Medicare premium, Roth conversions count towards that calculation.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.