No. of Recommendations: 0
The only thing I'd remind yourself of is that there's competition for the iPod on the horizon. I do grant that they dominate the market right now. But remember that Apple's stock price may already reflect that, and then some. What I like about it, though, is that you're observing the world around you and planning to place some bets on what you're seeing. Apple, though, is now a $36 billion company with around $700 million in owner earnings. I just don't see earning great returns from this over the next five years. It's had a remarkable run, rising about six times in value over the past two years. But given its size, its valuation, and the potential for competition, I'm not excited about AAPL today as an investment.

That said, I love the idea of your adding more stocks to your portfolio. You're young. You should be putting yourself in position to learn as much as you can about the business and investing world. For me, that means opening 20 - 50 different positions over the next few years. Follow each situation. Learn from them. You'll start to see a pattern to your long-term winners and a pattern to your losers. Within a decade, you'll be able to pick off those long-term winners one by one as they roll through. Sure, you'll make mistakes. But you'll be tilting the odds very much in your favor. So, my recommendation is that you save a little each month, and build out a portfolio of a few dozen stocks.

Tom Gardner
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.