Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
The only truly accurate terms for the two opposing camps would be pro-legal abortion or anti-legal abortion.

I think one can characterize at least one component of libertarian theory that laws should only be passed when necessary, and otherwise are immoral.

Then the two points of view would be:

In favor of passing a law to criminalize abortion.
vs.
Not in favor of passing a law to criminalize abortion.

The argument whether on eis pro abortion or anti abortion is very separate. Consider sodomy and drug laws. I am against criminalizing a sex act between two men. But I assure you that I have no interest in being pro- such a thing, especially if one of those men is me.

Under libertarian theory, IMHO, the burden is on the people who want to pass the law to criminalize something. They don't have to be pro-the thing in order to fail to meet the high standard required to push the state into otherwise private behaviors.

R:
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.