Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The origin of the Swiss position is that it is a vestige of a much larger CHF holding which, while reported to the IRS etc., I was no longer allowed to hold in Switzerland (Swiss banks got paranoid about Americans after the UBS thing and after moving from bank to bank, it just didn't work anymore) .

My Swiss Franc position originated over two decades ago when I wanted geographical diversity in my cash assets. The Swiss were not welcoming US dollars, although they did not refuse them. On the other hand, they charged 2% negative interest on bank accounts owned by US citizens. So I bought a single payment deferred annuity, denominated in Swiss Francs, that paid 2% guaranteed interest and an additional interest payment of about 2% most years. I reported all that interest as accrued, the 1% excise tax for buying a foreign annuity to the IRS, and all that. I also report the payments the annuity now pays me annually.

My approach has worked well for me, but would not be suitable for someone who wanted access to the funds at any time.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.