Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 10
The original post has been pulled (I'm sure some reactionary bed wetting basement dweller) . Can you restate?

OK, I'll omit the slam against the sainted Obama, even though it is his economy and I blame him for the current economic conditions. Nothing but glory and praise is allowed when discussing The Mighty Obama.

I haven't worked in about a month, hence all of my time here on-line of late. I got a blast e-mail yesterday from my company to its new truck transport drivers - all 93 of us. Effective immediately, all of us have been let go until the first of the year - minimum.

I am an independent contractor, so it's technically not a lay-off, but the net effect is the same. I am a subcontractor to a union company that has an exclusive contract to move this company's new trucks. Us subcontractors are like temp workers to make it possible for the main contractor to avoid hiring more union help.

As per the contract between my company and the main contractor, all of its subcontractors have been terminated. It is the right of the main contractor to do so. Volume is down and has been for some time, since at least March.

When I first signed on, I was kept busy non-stop. I'd deliver a load, call the company, they'd fly me back down to San Antonio. I'd go to the yard in SA and call the main office in OKC. I'd have a choice of loads. I'd choose one and it would be locked on for me. In a few minutes the paperwork would be printed. I'd check out my trucks, sign the paperwork, and be on my way.

Since March, I'd deliver a load and go home (my expense) and wait for another opportunity. Sometimes the wait would be two weeks. The longest wait in between loads was six weeks. All the while the company kept telling us about the production/shipment projections in the near future, so keep the faith.

And they probably were telling me the truth, as far as they knew it. No doubt they wanted to keep a good attitude and hope for the best, but it hasn't worked out that way.

Also in the e-mail was a caveat that the company was going to take this time to determine whether or not they wanted to move new trucks at all going forward.

They have repo, storage, inspection, and transporting used truck segments. That is what they did for years until branching out into new trucks.

So even if this blows over, they may not want to get back into it anyway. Hence, I get in line with the hundreds of other guys who transported new trucks looking for work.

Of course, this is a result of the Obama Economy and the reluctance of people and companies to invest in new capital equipment when the near term is so uncertain.

But in the finest liberal tradition, anything not fully praising The Mighty Obama is a Thought Crime and must be silenced.

Consider reccing this again, so that it makes the Best Of. Can't let the terrorists win.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.