Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The other thing, as many people have found, is that putting money in the market is not a sure thing....if you had gotten a big bonus in March of 2000, and rather than making a big payment toward your mortgage, you sunk it in the market in march of 2000, you would be down 10 or 20%, depending what you put it in...if you stuck it in high tech, you could be down 80%....

Of course NOTHING is a sure thing. But the scenario of the market going down 10% to 20% in any given year is kind of a short sighted way of looking at the "pay down your mortgage" quandry. All you can really do is go with probabilities. And the probabilities say that long term (not even very long) the return in the market will beat the "return" you'll get on your mortgage. Probabilities also say that the market goes UP 75% of the time. The odds seem to be in favor of investing in the market. And even if most people were to try and pay off their mortgage early, it might take them 10 years to do so. I doubt seriously that the stock market would have lost to mortgage rates over such a long period of time. (Although I guess it's possible.)

Further, even if the return you would get in the market were equal to the return on the mortgage, the fact remains that YOU CAN'T SPEND YOUR HOUSE. I think cash is always king. To me, that's peace of mind. And I think most of the millionaires profiled by Edelman and Thomas Stanley agree with that sentiment.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.