Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I finished this last night, so, as promised, here's some more detailed thoughts on it.

Overall, it was a very good game. As mentioned earlier, it's basically Fallout in space (or, more accurately, on other planets). The writing is pretty good, in that I found myself laughing (or at least chuckling) quite a few times. I did think the main campaign was a little short (or maybe I just didn't notice it was long, as I was doing all sorts of side missions). But, then, since there are 2 main endings (with a branching set of missions at one point, so the overall content in the main campaign is probably about right. (Interestingly, I was able to get the same mission on my list a second time later in the game as I opened up the possibility of going down the other branch). If you're the type of person to replay a game (I am not; generally once I finish a game's story, I'm done with the game, even if there is replay value), then it's well-suited to you, I think.

The variety in side missions was pretty good. Some did have you going from planet to planet, which was a little annoying. (One involved a "Tour of Halcyon" where you had to find 4 beacons spread across the colony, with the main reward being a hat. Alas, the hat didn't say, "I toured Halcyon and all I got was the stupid hat."). Loading times got a little slow, but that might be due to my PS4 getting a little long in the tooth? (Maps would sometimes take 20 seconds to load, which I also saw in AC: Odyssey, so maybe it's my hardware more than the game). One other minor nitpick is that you can't fast travel to everywhere in the game, just certain locations. I believe the Fallout games (or at least the Bethesda ones) let you fast travel to any location you've discovered. Not a huge deal, though.

My chief complaint (other than the lack of aim assist, though it's kind of related) is that the final mission is a giant leap in difficulty above everything before it. My character was generally focused on less combat-oriented skills, but not to the point where any of them were really higher than 60. Unfortunately, unless you have about 95-100 in the dialog-based skills by that point, you're forced to fight your way through the last mission (theoretically, you could stealth it, but I wasn't very successful with that, either). And, the final combat I found so hard (especially without aim assist), that I found it not very fun. I spent a lot of time killing one enemy and running to a safe spot to save the game and going back. And then the final battle (well, really, the next-to-last battle -- there's one more fight after that, but it was a one-shot kill) closed off any avenue of escape, so it ended up being "slow time; take a few shots; run around for a while until I could slow time again". It took ... it took a long time. I suspect if I were better at shooting on a console and had better combat stats, it might have been a bit easier (one walkthrough I looked at [thinking maybe I was missing something obvious in the battle] claimed it really wasn't a very tough fight ... I hate that person.)

Overall, I do highly recommend it, especially if you're a fan of the later Fallout games.

Back to Watchdogs 2, I guess.

dsbrady
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.