Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The pairs of words I would contrast are these: "play" versus "work", or "fun" versus "drudgery". How much of investing is really "fun"? But you do the needed work, because you realize its importance/necessity, just as you don't dismiss, discount, or belittle the joy that comes from working out an idea, implementing it in real time with real money, and then seeing the profits happen as you envisioned them. And it isn't a matter of "a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine goes down", but a Taoist concept of interrelatedness and interdependence perhaps captured in the folk saying, "If it ain't fun, it's probably not worth doing."

It was 11PM last night before I knocked off, and it's already 11:30PM tonight after a trading day that began at 7AM, and I really don't want to quit for being on a roll as I flesh out a new trading plan for myself and, also, for my daughter's account. The money? Yeah, I expect to make good money. But what is really driving the work I do is same satisfaction a poet or painter achieves. An intellectual structure is being created that didn't exist before. That's an unbeatable high.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.