No. of Recommendations: 3
The par is $1000 and quoting at $1538 and goes ex-dividend on 2/27 with 18.5 Quarterly dividend. The conversion price for this is $156.71 far away from current price of $45.

I already own WFC-L, although I purchased it at a much lower price. When it was at those lower prices, I recommended it, along with BAC-L, which I have also owned. (I actually arbitraged between these 2 for a while when there were some pricing discrepancies that seemed to go back and forth.) That said, I haven't been recommending either of these since they breached their conversion value of $1,300. While I agree that the WFC common increasing to ~3.5 times the current value to force a conversion of WFC-L is unlikely in the near future, it is possible if this is intended to be a long term holding. If a forced conversion happens, current buyers will have a capital loss.

The likelihood of BAC common just over doubling (from the current $31 to the conversion price of $65) is probably higher, and since BAC-L is priced above WFC-L ($1544 vs. $1538 on today's close) and WFC-L has a coupon rate of 7.5% vs. BAC-L's 7.25%, WFC-L is obviously the better buy of the two currently. But I'm not sure I would be buying either at these prices.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.