Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Aired on CBS prior to the Final Four. Narrated by Vern "What a man!" Lundquist. Our Lord and Savior Chris Duhon suffered for all man's sins.

Seriously, anyone else get sick of hearing how 'courageous' Duhon was for playing with bruised ribs? Sure he toughed it out, but CBS and the rest of the media portrayed it as if nobody else has ever played through injury (See Elder and Okafor). Vern Lundquist's "What a player! What a man!" call took the cake.

Sure JJ, there's a bias against Dook.

At least Gottlieb called out CBS on ESPN News

http://www.truthaboutduke.com/gottlieb_rip_duhon_rib.wmv

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Seriously, anyone else get sick of hearing how 'courageous' Duhon was for playing with bruised ribs? Sure he toughed it out, but CBS and the rest of the media portrayed it as if nobody else has ever played through injury (See Elder and Okafor). Vern Lundquist's "What a player! What a man!" call took the cake.

In every game I have seen this tournament, there has been at least one player on the court who was clearly playing with pain. Take nothing away from Duhon, but he isn't the first, nor will he be the last to suck it up and play hurt.

No. of Recommendations: 0

In every game I have seen this tournament, there has been at least one player on the court who was clearly playing with pain. Take nothing away from Duhon, but he isn't the first, nor will he be the last to suck it up and play hurt.

======================================

I hear Duhon is going to be the lead in "The Willis Reed Story"
(snicker)

Diane
- Favre's performance after his father died .... now THAT was something
No. of Recommendations: 1
You know, I'm a big Duke fan.

And even I'm getting a bit sick of hearing about Duhon's ribs. Though, thanks to a post I read on this board the other day, I did try the drinking game during yesterday's game. It worked pretty well :)

I mean, the "leadership" players are going to play injured if it's important for them to do so. Especially if they're seniors and their team's in the tournament (since not playing could mean they never play another game in college). Sure, he's in a lot of pain and it's admirable. But it's not like other players aren't playing hurt, too.

I think the media is just making a big deal out of it so they can show him flying into the camera over and over.

dsbrady
Can't remember whether I heard this on the local news here in the Triangle (NC) or on CBS, NBC, etc....

But Coach K was reported to have said to a reporter or reporters that what he appreciated about Duhon was that he (Duhon) was an extension of himself (Coach K) out on the court.

(I believe it was said to Bobby Knight and Coach K was telling the reporters what he and Knight had discussed, among other things)

"Rosie" (NOT a Duke fan.....so will pull mightily for Ga Tech to make it to the finals and beat Duke....again!!)
Rosie:

(NOT a Duke fan.....so will pull mightily for Ga Tech to make it to the finals and beat Duke....again!!)

How about just rooting for UCONN so THEY can beat Duke -- first? ;)

Vermonter
<<How about just rooting for UCONN so THEY can beat Duke -- first? ;) >>

Well, ....okay...........guess I could do that, since I know one ACC team has already beaten UCONN....UNC, right?

So, that means Tech possibly could.........

You pull for Tech in their first game and I'll pull for UConn....then we go our separate ways!!!!

And may the best team win!!

"Rosie"

No. of Recommendations: 2
How about just rooting for UCONN so THEY can beat Duke -- first? ;)

That would work...then we can beat UCONN -- again!

- Tom
No. of Recommendations: 1
That would work...then we can beat UCONN -- again!

Sure, since you know you can't beat Duke twice in the same year.

:)

dsbrady
Sure, since you know you can't beat Duke twice in the same year.

What I want to know is, will a GT-Duke game be the first time that teams playing for the championship will be meeting for the FOURTH time in a season? I suspect so.

Don't guess CBS would care much for the match-up, but screw 'em!

Go Jackets!

- Tom
Not sure about the championship, but Dook faced Maryland for the 4th time in 2001 in the national semifinals. That was the game, as we all remember, that MD blew a huge lead, largely thanks to the gutless officiating in that game (Jay Williams loves piggyback rides from Steve Blake).
Don't guess CBS would care much for the match-up, but screw 'em!

Perhaps. I'm not sure that a Duke-OK State or a GT-UConn matchup would really be that much bigger of a draw. After all, Oklahoma's not exactly a big market. UConn is in New England, so it probably has a fairly big draw, but it's also somewhat overshadowed by their women's team.

The Duke-UConn semifinal has the appeal of the 1999 title rematch (or, as I refer to it, the grudge match :) ) to it. Duke-GT would have some appeal as another ACC match-up (and has Atlanta's market as a draw). Of course, geographically, they're close together, so that might be a negative ratings-wise.

Basically, the point of this "thinking while I type" is to say that I don't think there are necessarily any matchups better than Duke-GT, ratings-wise (it doesn't necessarily mean they're worse, either).

dsbrady
will a GT-Duke game be the first time that teams playing for the championship will be meeting for the FOURTH time in a season?

Uh, no.

This one I'll agree they're going overboard with.

Now, Hurley finished off a Duke-UNC game with a broken foot. That is something worth noting.

Bruised ribs? ~shrugs~

The media says what they want though, except for the replays I wanna see and who got the foul.

TW