Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The Past Through Tomorrow is what got me hooked on Heinlein. I've read almost everything he ever wrote. But it's been a long time since I read most of it.

The first book I remember reading of his was....crap. I can't remember the name. It was about some young kid growing up on a pseudo-islamist world, mentored by a spy pretending to be a beggar, then enrolling and turning out to be a long-lost bazillionaire heir. Anyone?

No, I take it back, the first thing of his I read was the original serialized version of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, which my Dad bought way-back-when, still at my Grandma's house 3 decades later when we visited her over summer vacation. I remember being puzzled by the language oddities and asking my Dad if they were on purpose. I don't know how old I was.

Dad brought me up right, surrounded by SF/F. Dad handed me the first Xanth book when I was six and I was hooked. I had read everything Heinlein had written except the post NotB stuff by the time I was 12(and three or four novellas - the 'supermen' one, the jonathan hoag stuff). Mom and Dad wouldn't let me read Time Enough for Love, and so forth, because of the sex. Little did they know, what I was checking out of the library was far more explicit. I was highly disappointed when I finally got to read it.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.