Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
The poor overall margins are due to 80% of the revenue being hardware sales which has targeted gross margins of something like 15% (+/-5% or so). This is followed up by 5 to 20 years of SAAS and other income streams with 80% plus margins.

The battery razor and the AI blade? That would give Tesla's vertical integration a higher overall gross margin. It's similar to Tesla taking over the dealership revenue and profits in the car business. Dell made its name and fortune by eliminating the channel by going direct to consumer in addition to pushing just in time inventory to the extreme. Tesla's vertical integration reminds me of IBM's early days when they did everything from basic research to making IBM punched cards. Brand, name recognition, makes competing difficult.

Denny Schlesinger

Working at IBM in the first half of the 1960s was fabulous. Vacuum tubes were being replaced by transistors and "solid state" was the technical buzzword. At a weekly sales meeting at NCR (1966?) a fellow was demonstrating his sales pitch touting the "solid state" technology of the machine. I interrupted to ask what "solid state" meant, something that I did not yet understand. Like the great salesman he was, the rapped on the machine with his knuckles while saying with great confidence, "Solid, really well built!" which brought the meeting down with laughter.

BTW, it was at NCR where IBM founder, Thomas Watson Sr., learned the trade. Many veterans of the early days are sadly forgotten.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.