Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
The preferred's are protected from conversion till 2023.
What am I missing ? what is your concern?

They aren't protected from liquidation if there is a merger or 'other corporate action', so paying >10% over the liquidation value is a concern to me. The fact that the coupon rates for the A vs. the B indicate that the premium for the conversion feature should be closer to 0.625%, paying >1% for that feature is a concern to me.

Now, think of the protection till 2023 as a call option on the stock or in much simpler terms the current preferred price assumes the stock will gain at 3.25% per year, not a big hurdle right?

Maybe, maybe not. Given the bull run that we've pretty much been in for years, assuming that any REIT is going to hit a hurdle rate, even 3.25%, for the next 4 1/2 years seems a bit optimistic, especially given the slow down in the real estate markets (increasing inventories and falling prices, even with lower rates) that I've been seeing recently.

YMMV

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.