Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The premise that enrolling an employee in the plan doesn't cost the employer anything isn't true. The average cost of enrolling a participant is $25-75 (for materials, education, etc.) and then there may be costs of administering the plan based on the number of participants. Comparing this to a single person 401(k) is meaningless - a single person 401(k) does not have to follow the rules of a true employer with employees sponsored 401(k). There are nondiscrimination tests that must be performed. There may have to be an audit of the financials. There are trustee fees for the trust, and possibly custody fees (which are inapplicable to a single person plan). There are those educational materials and personell. There are recordkeeping systems that need to be maintained (and it is unlike just opening an individual account with a mutual fund) that are mandated by the IRS and DOL under the provisions of ERISA. Most people don't understand the complexities of operating a plan, simply because it is a tax-advantage plan that is HIGHLY regulated by ERISA and the tax code. Trust me on this one. I'm Director of ERISA Services for a large provider of bundled 401(k) plans.

O.K. Sorry to get on my soapbox, but.... to do it right is expensive. Don't like that? Talk to Congress....
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.