No. of Recommendations: 5
The primary issue with TTD is their concern of advertising weakness. The largest advertisers are becoming more picky and are not buying the hype of easy effective advertising if you just turn your dollars over to me.

It is the same sort of conclusion I came to when I used programmatic advertising (although I did not know that term at the time) with promises from “my people” that we will target the proper people, from income, location, and some other criteria. And I was told it would just get better over time, so you need to give us at least 3 months.

I ended up getting lots of calls (and every call related to one of these adds came with its own introduction from a marketing number so you knew where the call was coming from) and not a single person who called turned out to be financially able (or qualified as I use the term) to retain my services. It was astounding just how wrong an ad campaign designed specifically to bring in qualified leads brought in nothing but unqualified leads.

I had another solicitation from another agency earlier this year making the same sort of claims, but being more precise and more good sounding positive things that sounds like the things one would want to hear. I sent them packing. The prior attempt at programmatic advertising nearly bankrupted me. My entire marketing plan these days costs less than half my monthly home mortgage payment each month and is far, far, far, more effective.

I am sure these big brands are having more success, because they have more scale, and their products are often such low cost that almost anyone is qualified to buy them. But I would wager they have been sold the moon and delivered a build it yourself spherical puzzle instead in many cases.

Thus, advertisers are spending less on programmatic as part of their spend. And we should be at the peak part of their spend because BLACK FRIDAY is upon us. The biggest shopping day of the year.

I read two analysts talking about TTD having long-term 20% growth rates. Not talking about reaccelerating revenues.

TTD’s problem is not its platform per se, but the industry it is in, programmatic. It does not deliver what its proponents say it delivers. If TTD can overcome this, then TTD will reaccelearte growth and go boom and actually deliver the moon.

That is what I think the problem is presently with TTD. Lack of faith from large brand advertisers who gave it a shot and who are now rethinking the entire concept, and while doing so spending less money on it.

Tinker
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.