Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have an unwanted conundrum. Emergency lights on my 2006 Prius came on today and I rushed to the dealership. After 12 years and just 104,000 miles, the hybrid battery (10 year warranty) is starting to die. Around $2500 to replace it, including labor. I also need to replace the hybrid water pump, another $500. The dealership is offering a 10% customer loyalty discount. With my Car Care One card, I can finance this at 0% over 12 months.

Here's the problem. I am already financing via Car Care One a $500 car repair from last December over 6 months. And I am 3 months into a 12 month promotional payment plan for a new desktop computer with Dell Finance Services. And I am about to start a six month 0% promotion to pay off the balance of next summer's Disney Cruise, which will be about $450 over six months. And then there are all the other costs for the trip (airfare is purchased, thankfully, but there are hotel and port adventures to be paid for). Plus, I have trips to Puerto Rico, St. Louis and next weekend, Spring Training at (you guessed it) Disney World. Oh, and I have $750 more on a $1000 HOA special assessment that has to be paid by 12/1./18. So my cash flow is pretty tight (Tony, I need a raise!).

The car has a trade-in value of about $3000-$3500 according to KBB and Edmunds. A new battery would cost me $225/mo over 12 months and potentially extend the life of my car for another 5-10 years, assuming the rest of the vehicle holds up. Or I could get a new 2018 Prius (my goal would be to keep payments under $500/mo over a 48 month loan at 2.25% (credit union rate), which would mean up to $27,500 worth of car, including $4000 of trade-in and cash. The advantage here would be to catch up on 12 years of technology and safety improvements.

Here's the kicker. Since I work remotely from home, I put on less than 4,000 miles in 2017. I refinanced my home last year and have 14 years left on the 15yr fixed mortgage, but have about 60% home equity, so a HELOC is not out of the question. And I have about $5k in Time Warner stock (retail account) that I was hoping to sell when the AT&T merger went through.  I have $2k in eFund that I had planned to use to supplement the cruise payments.

I'm not asking what to do, but I am asking what questions to ask and where to find the resources to get the answers. The dealership said I can drive the car for now - it's one failed cell but it it could cascade - but clearly I don't have much time to make a decision. Any ideas?

Fuskie
Who notes the FuskieMobileā„¢ turns 12 officially next Thursday...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Orbital ATK (OA), Titan International (TWI), Time Warner (TWX), Global Payments (GPN)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: http://tinyurl.com/FoolCode
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.