Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
The professional pizza ovens they used go as high as 700df.I would go up to 500df in your home oven.Heat your stone slowly,start at 200 then bring it up to 500.Heat stone at least an 1/2 hour at 500df before you cook the pizza

Digging-up an old thread, but had to pass this tip along. (This is such an obvious solution, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.)

Doubtful any of our ovens go up to the 700-800 degrees that pizzeria ovens do and many of us don't have a pizza stone, I figured out a way to make NY-style thin pizza crust without the commercial oven and without a pizza stone.

Bake a dinner plate sized pizza, (I parbake the crust, then add the sauce and cheese and finish baking). let cool slightly so the dough isn't overly soft.

Here's the trick--using medium-high to high heat depending on your stove, heat a large frying pan sprayed with non-stick spray and slide the baked and slightly cooled pizza onto the heated pan, letting the bottom brown and crisp. Then slide it back out onto your serving platter. (I use a spatula to check the crust and to help with sliding it out of the pan.)

The application of the direct heat to the crust makes it very, very similar to the high heat of a pizza oven and the end result is similarly crispy crust--one you can pick up and hold in one hand to eat--you all know what I'm talking about--iow not soft or floppy.

No need to worry about special techniques, special equipment, etc. Just bake in an oven for 10 minutes then saute the bottom a few more minutes in a frypan.

And here's another tip: if you don't have a pan that will allow you to slide the pizza back out--iow the finish is scratched up and you have to pry off your food (I have a few of those pans)-- then line the bottom of the pan with non-stick aluminum foil (a godsend, btw), spray that with nonstick spray and place the pizza on that.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.