Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
The question I have is what do you do when the underlying dropped a lot. For example, I sold a covered call when MDB was $168 and it dropped to $149 at expiration. Of course, I lost $ for that trade.

I don't see how you lost money, you earned the premium and still have the stock. BTW, the only day after hitting 168 that MDB closed at 149 (actually at 147.67) was July 1 which was a Monday. After that MDB closed at 164 on July 19.

But to answer the question, and it's a tough one, the biggest danger is anchoring. So far I have dealt with it on a case by case basis but the logical me is telling me to take the loss if there are better stocks to sell calls on. By protecting one position you are hurting yourself on another.

1. Write a new "best" call for MDB even if it may be below your basis?
2. Use a strike at or above your basis?
3. Sell the stock and move on to the next opportunity?

By the above logic, option 1 would be best if it's a trade worth making, if there is no better trade available, otherwise 3. 2 is anchoring!

Denny Schlesinger

BTW, it's Denny with an 'e' ;)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.