Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
The question is strictly can you e-file with attached statements, and if so, how?

If it is one of the situations listed on Form 8453, attach your statement to that form, e-file the return and mail the form and attachment in. If it's not listed there, you have to file on paper.

An alternative, which is probably less than kosher, but might get the job done: File the return electronically, omitting the item in question. Then file an amended return, which is always done on paper, to add the skipped item. That would get you the refund speed of e-filing, and still get the return done correctly in the end.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.