Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 23
The question isn’t whether they are stocks a shoe shine boy would talk about. It is whether the discussion of the companies on Saul’s board is deep, substantive and substantial. In that regard the board is top notch.

There was plenty of deep, substantive and substantial talk about Lucent back in the 90’s. Also WorldCom, Napster, Juniper and especially AOL (CompuServe, MSN, etc.) I was party to a lot of it and made a bunch. I lost some on Lucent and @Home, among others.

Those were stocks that were “discussed”, mostly because “fundamentals” didn’t really exist, so we talked about growth rates, and customer capture, and Gorilla characteristics and a bunch of other stuff, some of which turned out to be transitory. But then there were also the Amazons and Apples and Starbucks and others.

I note that Pets.com was a flopapalooza, but Chewy seems to be doing OK, so it’s not as though the *concept* was bad, just the execution. Or timing. Or management. Or product selection. Or marketing. And that’s kind of the point: all of the “good concept” in the world doesn’t mean Home Run.

Many of the stocks discussed on Saul’s board are concept stocks and will go on to greatness, and (I suspect) many won’t. The discussions there do remind me of the 90’s, and we’ll know in another decade or three who was right and who wasn’t. I’m not in that game anymore, I’m in wealth “preservation” not “accumulation” mode.

I will say that Saul’s board is well focused, if a bit authoritarian for my taste, and it’s a good addition to the Fool. It will also have its turn in the barrel; the idea of “sector rotation” seems to be a surprise to many there - but if the market does one thing it’s educate.

No, the party’s not completely over. But the next time the Fed has a real inflation sniffle (and it *is* coming) I expect a lot of people to catch colds, and we’ve all seen what happens then.

Good stocks with good fundamentals and moats and earnings will be OK. Some concept stocks will keep on chugging. Some will drown. It’s the oldest story in the world.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.