Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The Quicken Tax Relief estimater says it will tell you how much you'll save, not how much your taxes are. I couldn't get the "Next" button to work beyond the first page, so I don't know what it will do. It says it has the new 2003 rates (as different from the original, pre-May 6, 2003 rates), but I can't tell. Does it ask for LTCGs prior to May 6? That's a good indication if it will really calculate. Their regular Tax Estimater gives you a blank page when you click on it. On both counts I declare Quicken useless. Same thing happened with both when I tried them a week or so ago.
I didn't notice that Block won't do SS taxability automatically. When I looked at it I was more interested in whether it computed the AMT correctly (it does as far as I tested it) and pre-post May 5 LTCG.

Edcosoft doesn't have these problems nor limitations, but instead of putting your personal info on the web (as Q and H&R require), it's a Excel97 spreadsheet on your own computer. It does the SS bit automatically and AMT--even has a second Scheudule D for figuring line 16 of form 6251, and form 8801 for AMT Credits, and does form 3800, child tax, savers credits and student loan interest deduction automatically.

None of these are complete tax programs, just pre-estimaters, and it would be impratical to have them do everything, but for starters they should use Post May 5 rates and rules, ask for pre-May 6 LTCG, compute AMT if you are normally subject to it, and H&R and Edcosoft are the only 2 that will. Ed
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.