Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
The quoted text says "sales tax is deductible...." You know how much sales tax you paid. How in the world could more than you paid be deductible?

I was reviewing old posts and saw this chain How obnoxious to berate a guy for asking a simple question about sales tax. It appears to me that by taking the standard deduction for sales tax based on your income using the Optional State Sales Tax Tables is one way to deduct more than you paid if you actually paid less than this standard amount in tax over the year.

So, it seems like a fair question to ask if the generousity extends to the area of major purchases. I'm sure that everyone doesn't have the time to focus on all the details of these rules (some of us are busy driving around a couple of cars and a boat, I guess) and thats why they post their questions here.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.