Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
This board, and its sister "Strategy" board, seems to have recently become fan-zines of a certain pharmaceutical company. Great company, and better stock, though it may be, it is puzzling to me that recently there has been so little discussion of the type of "consumer goods" CashKing candidates that spring to mind when one considers "Great Stocks of the Past 50 years"...

Especially with the recent C-K columns recommending diversification away from tech and drugs and into "consumer non-durables" perhaps it is time to examine old standbys like Proctor&Gamble or Gillette - or for the more narrowly focused - Hershey and Tootsie Roll.
These (along with Coke) were the first ones that hit my mind when I first read the basic story of C-K investing and started poking around my kitchen for ideas.

Of course, these stock stories are going to be a bit weaker than for the Drug-Czars, but averaged back 25+ years they're still pretty good stories.

To be honest, I've yet to run the numbers seriously, but even first glance shows that the chocolate kings fail on either margin or debt or size (TR still a small cap, in fact) . Gillete is a bit debt heavy. And P&G hasn't grown topline at all for past 2+ years.

But a second look at bottom line (earnings), dividend growth (not necessarily a bad sign even if you only want the "growth" part) and "investor friendliness" has me going back for second look at each of the above.

Any other ideas out there ?

Are should we just "go by the numbers, seconded by popular demand" and drop the cash into our second Drug-Lord ?

- DD
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.