Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 29
Well, I spent the better part of my morning reading through the last few days' worth of posts regarding the changes to My Portfolio. I went to the discussion board initially to find answers, as I'm sure all of us did, about why the portfolios are in such a mess. Unfortunately, it seems that they're a mess because the whole program was rolled out too early AND we're being expected to swallow a mere shadow of what we have come to expect as quality at The Motley Fool. I used to feel proud to call myself a Fool--now I'm just very disappointed.

We can't really judge how good or bad the new portfolio tracker is until the myriad problems have been addressed. However, I'm not convinced it can ever be as good without the DRIP and other specialty features, especially for those of us that trade with Buy and Hold (which I found through Motley Fool) and Sharebuilder.

MY main reason for being upset is the loss of historical data. It's bad enough to have to re-enter everything on another tracker, but to have to go back and rebuild that data from trade documents is very irritating, to say the least. Now, I admit that I should have had back-up documents, which I do for some of my portfolios--but not all. But it sure would have been nice if Motley Fool had made the suggestion to do back-ups, just in case. From the wording at the top of the portfolio pages, it seemed like more routine maintenance to me. Shame on me for not being more observant!

I do not believe, however, that the data is "lost forever". IMHO, it's more a case of not wanting to take the time and effort--and maybe the dollars--to fix this fiasco. I don't know if the blame lies with CBS MarketWatch or Motley Fool, but SOMEONE needs to step up to the plate and take care of it.

I would also like to see an explanation and an apology from the Gardner brothers. I think it's downright shameful that TMFDawn and TMFCarl have had to bear the brunt of this nonsense. You know the "tracker decision" was made at the top, and the buck should stop THERE, not with the front line.

Lastly, I'd also be willing to pay a service fee to use the former portfolio tracker, along with perhaps some other quality features that could be "members only". If they went through all of this just to see if we would be willing to cough up some bucks to maintain the QUALITY status quo, gee--they just should've asked!! I've always thought of Motley Fool as a family of sorts--they should be more willing to come to us for opinions and advice, just as we've come to them all this time.

If you've made it this far--THANKS for listening. I sincerely hope that we can all get back to portfolios that make sense SOON!

Eleanor
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.