Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The "properly endorsed" certificate is a gift of her portion of the stock to you, subject to all of the rules associated with gifts...that is, possible gift tax return filings, etc. At that point the entire holding is yours and you have no obligation to give anything back to your sister. Any sale will be taxable only to you (and your wife). Any money you return to your sister will constitute a gift from you to her, also subject to gift tax considerations.

I'm going to have one of my very rare disagreements with Ira on this one. [...]

However, I would have no problem with depositing the certificate into the joint account with his wife, as long as any sale of the sister's share of the stock happened fairly promptly (like within a couple of weeks or so)
and there was some written document explaning their intent. [emphasis added] With that, I think it would be fine to deposit the shares in the brother's account, and for him to sell them and not recognize any gain or loss on her portion of the stock.

I think the bolded phrase changes everything. With backup documentation, I would have no problems using the joint spousal account to process the trade. Without it I would be concerned. Unless the broker issues a detailed confirmation of the deposit of the certificate, none of the documentation generated by the broker will indicate that the shares had ever been jointly owned with the sister.
On the surface, it will look like a classic income shift to a lower tax rate taxpayer to avoid income tax. Plus, from the sister's perspective, there's always the slight chance [without the explanatory document] that the brother could claim that the shares were a gift from the sister and that he had no obligation to give her a share of the proceeds.

Ira
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.