Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently came across a hilarious web site for a consulting firm that shows brokers and financial planners how to increase sales.

http://www.nfcom.com/promo.cgi/email?h=index.htm

I especially liked the part about publishing your own book on retirement planning without doing any actual research or writing. These consultants say this is one way to show your "expertise" to potential clients.

I suspect it will be some time before we see any of these books in the FoolMart.

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
intercst wrote "I recently came across a hilarious web site for a consulting firm that shows brokers and financial planners how to increase sales.

http://www.nfcom.com/promo.cgi/email?h=index.htm ."

I looked at the site and found the following:

"What do I do now? I now have hundreds of happy clients on the Dow Dividend Strategy. I collect 1% to 1.5% annually on every account. That's right--people pay me to implement the simple Dogs of the Dow System. And I have some of the most satisified clients in the country (they're beating 93% of all mutual funds), I work fewer hours and I make a contiuous stream of money, year after year."

I would call that scary rather than hilarious, but other parts of the site are funny. I also doubt the validity of the beating 93% of all mutual funds after accounting for his 1% to 1.5% management fee, but h*ll, what is truth in advertising anyway.

Regards, JAFO
JAFO31 wrote,

intercst wrote "I recently came across a hilarious web site for a consulting firm that shows brokers and financial planners how to increase sales.

http://www.nfcom.com/promo.cgi/email?h=index.htm ."

I looked at the site and found the following:

"What do I do now? I now have hundreds of happy clients on the Dow Dividend Strategy. I collect 1% to 1.5% annually on every account. That's right--people pay me to implement the simple Dogs of the Dow System. And I have some of the most satisified clients in the country (they're beating 93% of all mutual funds), I work fewer hours and I make a continuous stream of money, year after year."

I would call that scary rather than hilarious, but other parts of the site are funny. I also doubt the validity of the beating 93% of all mutual funds after accounting for his 1% to 1.5% management fee, but h*ll, what is truth in advertising anyway.

At least the Dow Dividend guy is working a few hours. The "overnight financial author" I mentioned wasn't doing anything at all -- he's having the book ghost written. <grin>

I agree with your "scary" take on this stuff. While as a Fool I find it hilarious that financial planners are paying these seminar promotors big bucks for these "insights," of course it's very true that thier clients fall prey to high fees and risky schemes.

intercst
I liked his idea of becoming a financial planner by collecting 1% of assets for implementing a dogs of the dow for some one. Now why didn't I think of that That's right sir I have this computer program named RP4 that has an annualizied return of about 20%. That's right you won't get that much because of my fee.

~~paul
That didn't come out right. Needed some emoticons. My mouth fell open when I read someone is getting a management fee to implement dogs of the dow.

~~paul
pwyles wrote,

My mouth fell open when I read someone is getting a management fee to implement dogs of the dow.

I think there might be a real opportunbity for someone starting a firm that collected a management fee to advise clients to stay away from the other firms charging management fees. <grin>

intercst
This is not hilarious; it's scary. I am well aware of this guy. I'm sure that his potnetial clients would be interested in knowing that his CFP license has been suspended by the Board of Standards for securities violations.

Alan McKnight, CFP
FoolWAM wrote,

This is not hilarious; it's scary. I am well aware of this guy. I'm sure that his potnetial clients would be interested in knowing that his CFP license has been suspended by the Board of Standards for securities violations.

In visiting this site, it appears his "potnetial clients" (sic) are other financial planners rather than the general public. (This gentleman is in the business of teaching financial planners how to boost sales, collect higher fees, and "service" clients, however painful that might be.)

I do agree that one should be "scared" if his or her financial planner has attended one of these seminars

intercst
This guy is also in the full-time planning business. He supposedly shows planners how to do what he has done to his clients.

Alan