No. of Recommendations: 2
The real question comes down to, do you need income from these accounts to support your retirement, or is this just extra funds.

At age 60, you can remove funds from your T-IRA any time you like without paying penalties. The question then comes, when do you want to pay taxes on them. At age 70-1/2 you will be forced to take distributions. So then you will have to pay.

I do not agree with your flat 30% tax statement. If you convert a 750K T-IRA to a Roth, I would be surprised if your tax rate remains 30%.

So begin by noting that the real value of your TIRA accounts is 30% less than you have shown.

When will your lowest tax rate occur. You can probably arrange an artificially low tax rate if you wanted to. Put all your taxables into tax free investments. Then take T-IRA distributions or Roth conversions on how ever much you want to pay taxes on.

A key question is whether to put your T-IRA distributions into a Roth or keep them in a Taxable LTBH account. Taxable can be OK especially if you need the money. Roth ties up your funds for 5 years, but then no further taxes are due.

The right answer to your question requires a detailed retirement plan.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.