Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The real reason that JCI and other automotive suppliers are working with minority businesses is because the automotive OEM's are insisting on it. They are issuing mandates in the purchasing contracts that a certain percentage of new business has to come from minority suppliers.

Is this the right thing to do? I welcome the OEM's action from a corporate citizenship point of view, but I am worried that: 1) companies are not making these purchases on a best financial/product basis (which hurts the company's performance and reputation)
2) Many of the "minority" businesses turn out to be scams with figurehead ownership (which does not benefit those who need it)

I am skeptical that there are very many untapped suppliers for JCI (minority or otherwise) that can deliver a quality product at a competitive price.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.