Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 40
Couple charged $11,000 for 3-hour miscarriage including $6,000 for "use of ER" where the doctor did little more than "give her a pat on the back"....

This is our current "isn't it great" health care system...

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24683362/castle-rock-coupl...

Yes, keep telling yourself our healthcare system is great and needs no fixing, GOP...

When the bill made the news, it suddenly dropped by half.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Over 90% of people who has/had insurance is/was happy with the old system.

Those kind of positive numbers = good system
(nothing is 100% by the way)
No. of Recommendations: 1
Over 90% of people who has/had insurance is/was happy with the old system.

Those kind of positive numbers = good system
(nothing is 100% by the way)

---

Where did you pull that number out of? I can guess... You just love making sh*t up, don't you? Do you ever actually use facts to support your claims? Ever?

BTW, 42% of all statistics quoted on the internet are made up on the spot.
No. of Recommendations: 0
"BTW, 42% of all statistics quoted on the internet are made up on the spot.
"

42% is MUS as well.
"BTW, 42% of all statistics quoted on the internet are made up on the spot."

---

"42% is MUS as well."

Whooosh! A bit slower than usual this morning, captain memo. Thanks for the chuckle...
Nothing made up about 9 in 10 people who are/were insured before Obamacare were indeed happy with their plan.
"Nothing made up about 9 in 10 people who are/were insured before Obamacare were indeed happy with their plan."

Except that you just made it up. It is truthy/truthier just because you said so.

Sheesh.
Nothing made up about 9 in 10 people who are/were insured before Obamacare were indeed happy with their plan.

That's way too high a figure. Typically satisfaction with one's own health care coverage hovers around 70% - significantly higher than people's assessment of national health care coverage, but not 90%:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/165998/americans-views-healthcare...

Albaby

That's way too high a figure. Typically satisfaction with one's own health care coverage hovers around 70% - significantly higher than people's assessment of national health care coverage, but not 90%:

Your numbers include all Americans, including those without plans from what I can tell.Likely making the number perhaps not 90 percent but closer to there than 70, unless I missed something in the survey.
This is our current "isn't it great" health care system…

Nobody said the former healthcare system was great. ZeroKare, however, is worse. You'll see.
"Nobody said the former healthcare system was great."

Actually, there are quite a few here who say they believe that.

"ZeroKare, however, is worse. You'll see."

So far, its better. But you are right - we shall see.
"So far, its better"

LOL That is why 70% of the docs in CA are opting out of Obamacare. LMAO!
The GOP has offered many ideas. Ryan's voucher plan, for one.

I don't recall a single liberal on this board examining it at all.

Instead, you people went into full throated defenses of 404care even though none of you had read the bill or asked any questions about it. Then when the perverse incentives and massive, inefficient bureaucracy were point out, some screamed raaacism.

So now you have your Obamacare. Glad to hear it. The real fun for you is just starting: the website is a small nuisance compared to the reaming you're going to get:

Like your plan? ACA says screw you. Pay more for less

Like your doctor? ACA says screw you. You have to have this oher doctor.

Like your hospital? ACA says screw you. Go to this cheaper one. Sorry, Little Billy Pockets. You can't go to Children's Hospital.

Like your prescription meds? ACA says screw you. You take the generics that the IPAB says you can have and you'll like it.

Want some new, experimental treatment, or want a fancy MRI for that knee injury? ACA says screw you. IPAB will decide what treatment you get and what gets paid for.

The left was WARNED about what we going to happen. You people didn't listen. You doubled down on derision and your usual sticking of fingers in ears. And in so doing you took a system where one major problem was having a middle man between you and your health care...and "fixed" it by adding MORE middle men to health care.

No one cares what Obama's intentions were. You don't screw with 1/6th of the economy unless you know what you're doing. Unicorns and gumdrops as policy ideas are fine for Pope's Blood Chianti-soaked left wing gathering of "intellectuals". Out in the real world they don't amount to much.
When the bill made the news, it suddenly dropped by half.

It is very difficult (if not impossible) to make medicine a "market" service. Competition doesn't mean much. If I have an emergency (e.g. put a pick through my foot) 1poorlady will be taking me to the local ER (about 2 miles from my house). Does it matter if they charge 2x what others do? No. It's closest, so that's where we go.

And if you die? Doesn't matter, they still charge you. The mechanic doesn't charge you if he can't fix your car. Why do you have to pay if the doctor can't fix your body?

Pile insurance onto this, and things get worse. 1poorlady had a procedure several years ago that involved a night in the hospital (actually, I think two nights). Bill was $37K. I saw it. Then I get my EOB from insurance, and the first thing they did was slash the charge to something like $5K, of which I had to pay my 20%. Without insurance to lop-off that $32K the bill would have been ruinous. But if the hospital could afford to forego that $32K, why did they charge it to begin with? (answer: Because they could...because the market doesn't work here.) And the insurance company has to make a profit, so they're getting their percentage in there (based on actuarial data and rate structures).

The ACA, proposed originally by the conservative Heritage Foundation about 20 years ago, tries to use this feature of insurance to control costs and then creates markets for insurance companies to compete with each other. It at least realizes that competition within the medical industry itself is simply not going to happen. If you are sick or injured you won't be shopping around. It fails, however, because the insurance industry has to pay its people, and has to report profits to shareholders. That friction raises costs significantly. And as long as we rely on for-profit insurance we will never escape that.

It's easy to point at outrageous bills and say the system is broken. But it's really deeper than that. The outrageous bills are just a symptom.

Medicare for all pretty much solves all these problems.