Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 27
The realization I came to through all the great investment calls over the years is that yeah that triple in Vertex it was it a quadruple in at $13 out at $39 or $52 or whatever...Vertex is now at $286 last I looked. Brilliant of me!

Sometimes doing nothing (most of the time) it May exactly be the best thing to do so you don’t toss other such things out while patting yourself on the back.

Doing nothing does not mean you are not systematically adding, nor does it mean your not selling when it is time to sell (there are real rules of selling) it just means you don’t get scared out of a stock, you don’t arbitrarily sell a stock when it is not time to sell, and you understand volatility is natural, and sometimes it means sell! But only when certain qualitative criteria are met.

In the end I have found less brought at least the same if not more in returns. Just a process of continual improvement as you live and learn over the years.

Saul has his rules that he runs through brilliantly. Not perfect, no system is. Part of it is git subjective as well. I’ve become less active than this and look more at my rules to sell or not. Both work
Brilliantly.

But in the end my rules of sell pretty much mirror Saul’s, when the S curve runs (like it did with Arista - that is still a fine company but it was transparently apparent its best days were behind it absent something unknown and new - do nothing or not - that was the time to sell and move on when the share price artificially jumped one last time based on SP 500 inclusion (or whatever that was - the details were not important to me).

So one can be less active but still agree with Saul’s conclusions. My rule of sell is meant to not let the Vertex thing happen to me ever again while continuing to sell with confidence your Arista or Nutanix when the time to sell is apparent.

With proper rules you can reduce the risk of getting stuck w just the last 20 or 30% while not letting go those w much better futures still to come despite all the churn and panic and volatility surrounding them.

Tinker.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.