No. of Recommendations: 1
The reasoning is that stock prices are not a random walk (50-50 either up or down) if this were the case the index would be the same as it was 40 years ago. (inflation adjusted) Plus, no one would invest.

Now I don't know to what extent I do or don't buy into random walk myself, but this is a misunderstanding. If that was the case don't you think that along the way somewhere, one of the hundreds of academic minds that have studied it would have realized it?

A random walk can still get you somewhere. In fact, it's often used to heuristically solve very difficult problems that can't be solved in traditional manners. A random walk can have a bias in one direction or the other, it can have a direction that it progresses in. It's just saying that it's next move it unpreditable, not that the overall direction is.

There's a difference between saying it's entirely random and it's a random walk. That's why they use the latter and not the former (in fact, if it was the former, it wouldn't have adjusted for inflation either).

On your bottom list there:
2) There are bond indexes too, short term, as well as REIT, precious metals, etc. About the only index I've never heard of is a MMF one, but hey, it's possible (although probably fairly pointless). So specifying index investing in no ways specifies any level of risk (other than > 0, I guess).
4) I agree that most, or at least many people, believe they can beat it. But that does not mean that "you're better off trying." I tried to make that distinction moving from 'good' (you can try to beat it, but only if you want, 6 of one, half a dozen of another) to 'fair' (you can beat it and you really should try).
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.