Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The risk for an investor is the chance of losing purchasing power combined with the size of that loss.

So if I keep my money in cash, there is a significant risk that it will decline in real value due to inflation.

If I have a diversified investment in the stockmarket, there are a number of sources of risk - inflation being only one of them.

The longer I invest in either cash or equities, the lower the risk involved.

Is there any data available comparing the real returns on equities and bonds over the past 100 years or so ?

What was the worst outcome ? What was the longest period for a loss in real value in the stockmarket ? For example, if I invested $100 just before the 1929 crash, how long did it take for my investment to recover to its real value ? What was the largest loss in real value ? I read an earlier post in this forum that equities lost 75% of their real values twice in the last century ? When did these losses occur and how long did they last ?

Is there similar data available for bonds ? What was the longest period of loss in real value ? What was the largest loss ?

Is there similar data for other countries ? Presumably the real losses in the Japanese stockmarkets have been huge in recent years.

Thanks

Brendan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.