Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 132
I fly often on business. Like many others, I found myself wondering ? what if I were a passenger on one of those planes? What would I do? What should I do?

Here is the real question. What are the responsibilities of the airline passenger in a hijack?

This is a fact: The terrorists were armed only with knives. They were heavily outnumbered by passengers. If passengers on those flights had taken matters into their own hands, today would have turned out very differently. Possibly we would still have four down planes, But - worst case - we would have 250 dead, and not thousands. We would not have a burning pile of rubble where the World Trade Center used to be. We would not have 800 dead on the ground in the Pentagon. And possibly, just possibly, one or two of those flights might have made it back to the ground safely. Possibly, the actions of passengers is the very reason one flight crashed into a Pennsylvania field and not the White House.

The intimidation and passive compliance of passengers is a critical and necessary part of their plan. If every passenger on those four flights knew the fate that awaited them, would they have stayed in their seats? I think not.

This is the lesson I learned today. In a war against terrorists, there are no non-combatants. We are the targets. In these circumstances, the only rational course of action is to become a warrior. It is a different game if terrorists learn that when they board a plane, they are boarding a plane filled with warriors.

I hope that if I am ever faced with this situation, I will have the courage to do what needs to be done. This is what I will tell myself: Remember September 11. I am already dead. I have nothing to lose by attacking now.

One who is supposed to be a warrior considers it his foremost concern to keep death in mind at all times... As long as you keep death in mind at all times, you will fulfill the ways of loyalty and duty... you will be physically sound and healthy, you will live a long life... your character will improve and your virtue will grow. - From Bushido Shoshinsu- The Code of the Samurai
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.