Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/susan_nielsen/index...

Yet something strange has happened in recent years. Seniors are now the most financially comfortable people in the United States, with the steadiest cash flow and the lowest poverty rates. Meanwhile, child poverty is deepening and adults under 65 are the poorest they've been in about 50 years. I mention this not to pick on seniors, who are rarely rich and who often rely on Social Security to stay afloat. I only want to underscore the poverty of everyone else, which has crept up so insidiously that our imaginations have yet to catch up.

Of the 46 million Americans living in poverty today, fewer than 8% are seniors, according to federal Census data. The trends over the past several decades are striking: Nearly every year, seniors get a little richer and other adults get a little poorer.

Today, only 8.7% of all seniors are poor, down from 25% in the late 1960s. The poverty rate for Hispanic and African American seniors has steadily declined to 18%. By contrast, more than one-fifth of children live below the federal poverty line. For African American children, the poverty rate approaches 40%.

Not only that, but we get $1 off at the movies. Oh, and when's my next Social Security cost of living increase?

--fleg
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.