No. of Recommendations: 6
As Americans process a dizzying week of damning revelations about the president — his firing of the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey; his disclosure of highly sensitive intelligence to the Russians; and his plea to Mr. Comey to drop the bureau’s investigation of his fired national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn — Mr. Trump has found shelter on the right, where the collective judgment of the conservative media and the Republican Party so far seems to be to dismiss the allegations as “fake news,” shift the blame and change the subject.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/?referer=
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
It isn't the news that's fake, it's the president.
Tony Soprano is President and his crew will protect him at almost any cost.

Our only hope of salvation is for the electorate to wake up to the fact that we are moving into a fascist state. In the past couple of day Eugene Robinson and Tom Friedman have both done op-ed pieces calling on the resistance to take back the country in 2018. If we don't, its likely we'll become an out-and-out plutocracy with a fascist legal system.
...the collective judgment of the conservative media and the Republican Party so far seems to be to dismiss the allegations as “fake news,” shift the blame and change the subject.
Fwiw, it appears to me that the Left is enabling this.

1) Comey
Comey was unfit to serve as Director of the FBI and should have tendered his resignation on Jan 20.
The Left seemed to agree, but when he was actually fired you'd think that Trump was considering martial law. The proper response for the left would have been to agree that Comey was problematic but that the timing was also problematic and they'd take a wait and see attitude base on who was nominated* to replace him.

2) Intelligence sharing
The problem wasn't that Trump told the Russians. He actually gets to do that.
The problem is that he violated protocols (that exist for good reason) by not at least notifying Israel before hand. He betrayed an ally and its not obvious that there was a good reason.

These situations are nuanced. But the Left is leading with RUSSIA!!! and that really isn't the whole thing. This makes it easier to portray the situation as overblown - Dem sour grapes and MSM fake news - particularly to those who want that to be the answer.

Fortunately for everyone, there appear to be responsible Republicans in Congress who get all this and are trying to act like adults.

-------
*Oh, and that nomination would be a good time to attempt a fillibuster. Build some sympathy. Oh, but no, they needed that whole Pyrrhic thing with Goresuch.
No. of Recommendations: 3
It appears to be that if Flynn wasn't right up to his neck in a criminal relationship with the Russians, Trump wouldn't have tried to obstruct justice. Flynn is the conduit to Trump's own Russian relationship which you appear to dismiss out-of-hand.

The Republicans have done everything in their power, without appearing to obvious, to squash this investigation. They couldn't control Comey so they got rid of him.

It appears to me the Republicans have the same regard for the law as the Nazis.
No. of Recommendations: 2
It appears to me the Republicans have the same regard for the law as the Nazis.
And here we have goofnoff invoking Godwin's Law. Quelle surprise!

I will of course be FA'ing this for its lack of civility because TMF2Aruba wants me to.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Fortunately for everyone, there appear to be responsible Republicans in Congress who get all this and are trying to act like adults.

I am beginning to be impressed by the measured way that a few Republicans are beginning to move on this. Truly, I am.

But I don't hold it against Democrats for shouting at the issue. Without levers of power, that's all they can do.
No. of Recommendations: 26
Hi WuLong,

You said: “Comey was unfit to serve as Director of the FBI and should have tendered his resignation on Jan 20. The Left seemed to agree, …”

It may be your opinion Comey was unfit and you may have individuals from all political persuasions, but that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, your prescription of a proper response fails to fit the facts.

• Comey has a well-earned reputation for being through, fair and honest, going after the truth regardless of where it may lead. In the process, it earned him enemies. In my opinion, that does not make him unfit.

• The timing was not appropriate. Comey was involved in investigations that dealt with the individual and the individual’s associates that are critical to our democracy. Trump’s own words call into question the reason for his firing of Comey. First by dismissing the investigation and secondly by threatening Comey if he talked – hardly an indication of innocence. And to say Trump should be allowed to name a new director under the circumstances further calls into question Trump’s actions.

You said: “The problem wasn't that Trump told the Russians. He actually gets to do that.
The problem is that he violated protocols (that exist for good reason) …”

It was never said Trump did not have the authority to de-classify information. The thrust of the article was that the sharing of information provided means for that information to be reverse engineered placing sources in in fear for their lives. Secondarily, it creates a reluctance of valuable sources to provide information that is necessary to ensure our safety. This is a big deal.

These situations are far from being “nuanced.” And the party of Trump is hardly acting like “adults.”

“*Oh, and that nomination would be a good time to attempt a fillibuster. Build some sympathy. Oh, but no, they needed that whole Pyrrhic thing with Goresuch.”

As to you last comment about Gorsuch, you may want to review the following:

http://boards.fool.com/judge-gorsuch-8230-32629589.aspx Judge Gorsuch

http://boards.fool.com/a-much-bigger-problem-32635419.aspx A Much Bigger Problem

http://boards.fool.com/flawed-nomination-process-32658316.as... Flawed Nomination Process

http://boards.fool.com/one-principled-reason-32662870.aspx One Principled Reason

Robert B. Claussen
Wow.

With regard to Comey, his letter in October was not in any fashion what someone fit for the job of FBI Director would have done. He intruded into an election and may have altered the result.
He should have resigned.

With regard to the intelligence given to Russia, your lecture was my point. Wow, you can read back to me my own position. Impressive - not.

So, not really sure what your point is.
Perhaps you could actually make it.

Thanks in advance.
The majority of the electorate who voted for trump will not wake up. We are already a "fascist-light" state, and I think it pretty unlikely that there will be any significant reduction in the descent to full fascism for a long time, if ever.

I hope that I am wrong, but I am not sanguine.

Wessex
Mr. Trump has found shelter on the right, where the collective judgment of the conservative media and the Republican Party so far seems to be to dismiss the allegations as “fake news,” shift the blame and change the subject.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You Father surprise me. I thought you left the USA years ago. Then why spend your time complaining about the USA where you no longer live. I just don't get it.
No. of Recommendations: 2
You Father surprise me. I thought you left the USA years ago. Then why spend your time complaining about the USA where you no longer live. I just don't get it.

That would be your problem.
Hey if you want to spend EVERY day of your life complaining about a country you NO longer live in, that is certainly your choice.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hey if you want to spend EVERY day of your life complaining about a country you NO longer live in, that is certainly your choice.

Since I've lived in the US since I was born, I say again....... the problem is yours.
My sincere apology. You must have moved back to the US then.