No. of Recommendations: 16
The risks from interest rates, legislation changes, and bear market concerns are hardly unique to reits. But I think you are specifically asking about my heavy concentration in reits.

Well, for one thing, reits are more than just one industry. They encompass a single asset class, but an extremely broad one which serves virtually every industry and consumer. So I consider it to be less concentrated than perhaps it may seem.

As for the interest rates, my experience is that reits are not hurt any more by rising interest rates than equities as a whole, which does not only seem to be empirically true, but also makes sense. Why is the value of a dollar of dividends devalued by rising interest rates any more than a dollar in price appreciation?

And I think a bear market for reits is less likely than a bear market in other equities because of current valuations. In effect, we have already had a reit bear market and (oh, please!) we are coming out the other side.

I am comfortable with reits right now. Not so much with the broader market. I am also comfortable in my belief that my posts will not cause anyone else to push all their chips into VNQ, so my conscience is clear.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.