Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Rather than having fees or commissions deducted from Roth IRA contributions, I want those amounts billed separately. It's backwards from what should be done on a taxable account, but in a tax free situation, where contributions are limited, allowing these expenses to reduce what could continue to be invested tax free is definitely unfoolish.

After reading Publication 590 and pouring through every resource on the web I could find, I finally had to consult with a tax professional to get any answers.

What I found out is that having commissions and fees billed separately is perfectly legit (and quite foolish), but it's just not a standard feature in the software most brokers use for all their paperwork, and most will try to pretend it can't be done.

Any ideas on a what brokers will bill fees and commissions separately, rather than deducting them from the account?
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.