Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The rude answer is to have a low income. The second rude answer is to make a bunch of bad investments that result in capital losses, so that you can balance your gains against them.

Otherwise, you are stuck. If you have a short term gain because you have held the stock less than a year and a day, then it will be taxed as ordinary income: most probably at 28%, but more if you are a rich person. If you hold longer and it is a long term gain, it will most probably be 20%.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.