No. of Recommendations: 3
The screen may actually work despite the crappy data. First, the screening parameters change very slowly. Second, as Jim noted, all it may be doing is acting as a crap filter. The stocks are filtered for solid management practices - high cash, low debt, good ROE.

Well, that makes me feel a little better. I'm all about crap filters.

But unfortunately I'm not quite convinced that this crap filter is accurate when it's using VL's sometimes variably obsolete and "creative" interpretation of cash and long-term debt.

Of the 45 stocks that Elan posted, 12 of them had more LT debt than cash---according to the Yahoo data. Granted, I have only cross-checked one of them (BBY) with the data reported by Tiingo.

Sooooo, these 12 should not be on the "buy" list. Should they? Top 26% ROE of 1700 stocks is 442. I would think that the next sort of Cash-debt would have none of them in the top 40 of the 442.

Decided to cross-check one more.
ADBE.
Yahoo says: cash 4170 and LTdebt 4710

Tiingo says cash 2690 and LTdebt 4710
Ah, and "Short-term Investments" 1480. 2690+1480 = 4170. Which matches what Yahoo says.

Tiingo gives as-reported date of 3/25/2020.
BTW, these figures from Tiingo have not changed much over the past 5 quarters, which is as far back as I looked.

Now the question I have is: is this still a good screen if you just apply the correct data to the VL1700 stocks. Too bad I dropped my Portfolio123 account, as I know how to backtest it there. Assuming, that is, that P123 has the same data as Tiingo does, presumably correct.

############
I forgot to call the library today to see if they have VL. If somebody wants to email me the list of VL's 1700 stocks I could grab the Yahoo data and run the screen, and then we could compare the list of 45 stocks. Give me something to do over the non-holiday weekend. Maybe grab the Tiingo data, too, and compare that.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.