Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The second governmental role to cite is that of the Department of Energy, which has been profoundly unable to remind OPEC who it was that saved it from ruination just a decade ago. Prices at the pump have effectively tripled since the current Administration wrested power, by a plebiscite, from George Bush.

Phronimos,

I'm going to have part company with you on this point, my friend. First, you castigate the Lame Duck administration for interfering in the market; then, you castigate them for not doing more to mitigate the cartel power of OPEC. OPEC is just an alliance, nothing more, nothing less. The US belongs to many alliances which affect the operation of markets. What the Lame Duck administration needs to do is stay away from OPEC - those people are not stupid; they aren't going to let the price of crude go sky high. If they did that, then alternative energy sources become competitive, and that's the last thing they want to see happen.

I agree with you, though, on Richardson - he has to go.
The loss of classified information at Los Alamos is a travesty - especially, after lapses a year ago. The problems should have been corrected; they were not. Had Richardson not spent so much time gallavanting around the world, hacking OPEC off, perhaps he would have had time to deal with the problem. The Lame Duck will have his head - he has no choice in an election year.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.