Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The sections 179 deduction is limited to taxable income, not just income from your business as a musician. If you have another job and are paying income taxes, you will probably be able to deduct the full $5,000.

Also, profits 2 years out of 5 years is just a rule of thumb. You can have losses for any number of years, just so long as you can show you have a profit motive. Having a profit motive, and handling your musician affairs like a business are the most important aspects for deducting losses. Obviously, if you have a profit motive, you will probably go out of business, if you continue to suffer losses for several years and have no prospects for profit.

See an accountant or buy some tax software, such as TurboTax.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.