Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
The short version of the article:

1. Shakespeare reference.
2. Mutual funds suck...

My goodness. No, no. HERE is the "short version" of that article:

"The author pretends to dislike mutual funds, while posting one reason after another that mutual funds are in fact quite worthwhile."

Poor Selena. She's got a job to do, and she tried to be a little creative and playful. I don't like those constant sales pitches any more than the next person, but at least this one got my attention and made me smile. Some of us who have been around the internet for a while have encountered that crazy Shakespearean insult generator years ago.

In an earlier post, Kerby commented: "The insults were silly, over-the-top and didn't even relate to the subject matter."

Well, yeah, and that was the point. If the "insults" had been more serious, or less goofy, we'd all have reason to be offended. I think Selena took pains to make it as extreme (and silly) as possible.

It reminds me of a scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. King Arthur (Graham Chapman), and the Knights of the Round Table, confront an inane "French" guard (played by John Cleese) at the walls of a castle, and the following exchange ensues:

----

ARTHUR: If you will not show us the Grail, we shall take your castle by force!
GUARD: You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur-king, you and all your silly English k-nig-hgts. Thppppt!
GALAHAD: What a strange person.
ARTHUR: Now look here, my good man!
GUARD: I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough whopper! I f#rt in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of eldeberries.
GALAHAD: Is there someone else up there we could talk to?
GUARD: No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

----

It seems like folks are reading stuff a bit too literally here. I kinda think we should encourage a bit more satire and *attempts* at wit (leaving to each individual to decide whether the message achieved wittiness or not). Better than reading yet another argument about indexes versus active management, or whatever. No?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.